Here's a really interesting contribution from Karen -- what do you think
of its usefulness for catagory #1, Louise?

Shellie

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 15:46:10 -0800 (PST)
From: KAREN ALBRETHSEN <albreths@nevada.edu>
To: Michele Mueller <entiat@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Job Description List

Michele,
When I was on the district curriculum committee several years ago which
wrote not only a curriculum for library skills, but also some collection
guidelines and a job description, we did use the words "administrative
duties."  This not only sounds more impressive, but is more accurate.
How many clerical workers in offices actually put together the budget for
the company?  Some, perhaps, but it wouldn't be an expected skill.  Also,
concerning MARC records, I don't consider that clerical either.  Perhaps
it's that to me, clerical mean something a clerk (or, in my case since I
have no clerk or aide, a volunteer) can do with a minimum of training.
This wasn't in our job description, since use of MARC at that time was
still pretty much limited to universities, but we certainly would have
put it elsewhere.  The categories we used were:  Management and
Administration; Instructional Process; Interpersonal Relationships; and
Professional Responsibilities.  According to our job description, things
having to do with cataloging and classification went under Management and
Administration.

This has been a most interesting discussion!

Karen Albrethsen, Librarian
President, Nevada Library Association
Spring Creek Elementary School
Elko, Nevada