I attended a session at AASL on Ethics. This was based on the ALA Code of
Ethics and we did discuss patron confidentiality. I was surprised at the
number of states that have confidentiality laws that affect students as young
as seven. The recommendation by the ALA staff was that no information be
given about what students are checking out, or searching online. This
includes not giving information to teachers or parents about overdue books.
You may want to contact ALA for more information.

Kay Rewerts
Waterloo Community Schools
Waterloo, IA
kmrewerts@aol.com