Netters,
Perhaps some of you have creative answers to this dilemma. For several
years now in Indiana we have been participating in The Young Hoosier
Picture Book Program where all the students in the school are exposed to
twenty newly published titles. They vote for the one they like the best
and the tally is sent in to the State Library Association.  The state
winner gets a medal and the illustrator is invited to speak at a banquet
in the spring.
In previous years I gave each teacher a box of the twenty books to keep
in their rooms for 4 weeks. However, in the past several years we have
had more and more classrooms sign up for the program. Since I cannot
afford to purchase more copies of the titles, I have tried this year to
station the boxes in central locations and assign several teachers to
share for a set number of weeks (8 this year). This did not work out as
well as I had hoped. Many dropped out for various reasons from "I could
never find the book I wanted in the box when I wanted it" to "I just
don't have enough time." Is there another way to do this that I haven't
thought of?
You may reply to me personally.
Rebecca Dann
South Adams Elementary