"My principal has asked me to develop a plan to remediate the
library skills of those students identified as deficient.  He suggested that
the teachers identify those students and I could use their noon hour to
tutor"
Chris --
     Much of the literature today suggests teaching "library skills" out of
context is a waste of time.  Students need to develop information skills that
reflect an understanding of a holistic process, and then use these everytime
they have a need to gather and use information.  There are a variety of
models available today (AASL/WEMA's Information Problem-solving model;
Eisenberg and Berkowitz's Big Six Skills; Stripling & Pitts; Kuhlthau; etc.)
 I encourage you to choose one and spend some time with your principal
developing a strategy for implementing this across the curriculum.  Often the
best way to begin is to select one or two teachers who might be receptive,
then build on that success.  This needs to be a team effort and positioned
within curriculum related projects.
Marjorie Pappas
Library Media Program Advisor
Wright State University