I, too, had the experience of catching some of the book theft thanks to
those who thought the barcode was the "tag".  It was a good feeling to know
that the 3-M Tattle tape system was paying for itself again.  It doesn't
solve those who are DETERMINED to take the material.  Recently two very
expensive reference books went out the door during a crowded session when
we were, as usual, understaffed, and the corridor was very busy.  The alarm
went off and there was nothing I could do about it.  Later we learned which
books had departed when others were looking for them for the report.
        Libraries operate on the honor system, as we all know, and it is
really difficult when that is violated.
        So, if you are in the process of automation, be SURE you include a
price in that field.  It doesn't even need to be exact, unless you know for
sure the cost.  Remember prices tend to rise, rather than fall, in most
cases.  I took that extra step and I am very grateful to be able to verify
cost by simply calling up Columbia's information and there it is...alas...
But there we are.
--
Sr.Mary Veronica,CHS       "All that is required for
Xavier High School,NYC      the triumph of evil is for

LM_NET Archive Home