A quick "shortcut" to those books with no cip, but, fortunately,
well-reviewed to merit inclusion in "Book Review Digest" from various years is
to go back and consult the old volumes.  At least I have in front of me the
lcn, a suggested Dewey, and the lc subject headings.  That is a basic level
of cataloguing from which I can jump and add more subject headings or notes
or whatever.  If you have old Book Review Digests, don't discard them if you
are planning on automation.  Once the initial recon is done, you will add
many titles and subjects, some of them older history books, for example, and
the books which were collecting dust were priceless.  I have used
MITINET/marc for the ongoing recon work.  In conjunction with Columbia,
indeed, mounted on Columbia, that is a powerful MARC record creating tool.
Give Information Transform a call: 1-800-854-6272.  You'll find that this
software works with every automation system, not just Columbia.  Terrific.
--
Sr.Mary Veronica,CHS       "All that is required for
Xavier High School,NYC      the triumph of evil is for

LM_NET Archive Home