Over the past few months, discussions have developed around the problems
of maintaining a learning environment in a school library.  In my school
district (Bellevue, Washington), we have four large (1000-1500) high
schools (yes, I suppose to some of you that's not large!).  We also have
site-based management.  Each of our high schools has adopted a schedule
which has seven periods, and students take only six classes (with a few
exceptions).  The result is that 150-200 students are free each period,
and, as you might imagine, many of them choose to spend this time in the
library.  Our teachers love this schedule - they have two prep periods
daily.  We have none and have huge influxes of drop-ins, often with
nothing in particular to do.  And of course, we are working with the
classes signed up to use the library.  There is some variation between
buildings as to number of library staff (I have 2 - other schools have 3,
4 and 5) and as to what other places are available in the building for
kids to go.  I feel as though this schedule is built on the backs of the
librarians.  What we librarians would like to know is - is this a common
type of schedule, or are we in a really small minority?  I have never
posted a HIT, but if there is interest in my responses, I will.

LM_NET Archive Home