We've had our security system (Knogo) for many years and although we have
some books disappear the number is not significant. I always talk about
consequences of ripping off a book or magazine when I do orientation (we
have 2200 students). Usually we do not suspend any student who is found
with an unsensatized book in a back pack. We do, however, make it clear
that the next time it is to our dean's office for punishment. Usually
someone has played a trick on the student with the offending book. Last
year I lost only 35 books unaccountedly so I consider my policy working.
That's especially try since the library is used for just about everything
during the 2 days we are closed due to no staffing.

Lynne Therriault, librarian
Pinole Valley H.S.
Crespi Jr. High
California