What a relief! I'm back on the list again - have been off for a month due to
server problems.  I hope everything works ok this time because I have a request
for information that I hope you other lms's can help with.

My school, a preK-4 elementary with 700+ students, is beginning a major report
card restructuring process. The "Special Subject" teachers (art, music,
phys.ed. and library) are being asked to redesign our portion of the report
card to suit our needs. We thought it would be a good idea to ask around about
"good" assessment tools used in other elementary programs and I volunteered to
put out the word here.

So, anyone who is willing, we would love to hear from you as follows:

1. How are students in your school currently assessed in music, art, phys.ed,
and library? (for example,Satisfactory-Needs Improvement,etc.)
2. What specific areas are assessed? (Ex., attitude, skills, behavior,etc.)

I have never graded the kids in Library Class and am of two minds about whether
I want to start now. The suggestion has been made that a "library skills"
section on the report card would lend validity to the program (and I can see
that point). However, I also feel that separating out "Library" as a subject
defeats my purpose which is to make the lmc the core of all curricula and
eventually to convert to flex. scheduling. What do you all think/do about
assessment if you have library classes?

If you have a really good report card and wouldn't mind sending us a copy, my
snail mail address is:
                      Debbie Cranson
                      Green Meadow Elementary School
                      143 Great Road
                      Maynard, MA 01754

If you have ideas and suggestions but no report card to send, my e-mail address
is:
                      debcranson@MHS.Maynard.K12.MA.US

Thank you in advance from all of us. We await your kind and wise counsel.

LM_NET Archive Home