Norma,
THANK YOU ! ! !  The Science Dept. Chair doesn't test tubes and beakers.
The Math Chair doesn't sell graphing calculators.

Clete Schirra                           schirrac@icarus.lis.pitt.edu
South Park High School Media Center     schirra@calvin.cc.duq.edu
2178 Ridge Road                         (412) 655-0613 voice
Library PA 15129                        (412) 655-2952 fax

On Tue, 24 Jan 1995, Norma Dreyer wrote:

> This issue has risen before.....Every time, it raises my hackles.  WHY do we,
> as professional librarian/teachers, have to raise funds for an institution
> which is CENTRAL to the mission and the credibility and the soul of a school?
> If I had wanted to go into merchandising, I would have long ago sought a
> career with Walmart.  Nevertheless I sell notebook paper, pencils, pens, and
> typing paper, and charge for photocopying and printouts.  Why?  Because I need
> additional money to purchase resources for my library because I am allocated
> from the District about $1.00 per student.  (Gasp!)  And in my "spare" time,
> I write grant proposals which fortunately have been mostly successful.
>
> My concern is that the school districts of this nation, if the comments I see
> on this listserv are any indication, have NO conception of what the informatio
> age is all about.  Or where the living heart of a school is located.
>
> Well, I have ventilated.  And feel somewhat better.  And tomorrow I will go ba
 ck
> to selling school supplies and services because it matters to me what kind of
> materials and resources I provide for my kids - MOST of which are free.
>
> Norma Dreyer
> Edison High School
> Tulsa, OK
> educ_nd@vax1.utulsa.edu