Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
From: cronn@llwcny.ll.pbs.org (Katherine Cronn)
Subject: Re: Mandarin
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 01:45:29 GMT

Ginny Marr ,              Tabor Academy 508-748-2000 x263 (GMARR@A1.MEC.MASS.EDU
 ) wrote:
: On the brink of automating, I'm contrasting a turnkey system such as Datatrek
: and Dynix Scholar with software-only Mandarin. My understanding is that Mandar
 in
: is not in wide use except for New York state, being a Canada-based company.  I
 'd
: love to hear from anyone who has chosen/not chosen (knowledgably) to automate
: with Mandarin.  Please reply to me directly.
W:         Ginny Marr
:         Tabor Academy
:         Marion MA 02738-1599
:                 gmarr@a1.mec.mass.edu
We are now on our fourth year with Mandarin.  The first year only the
catalog was up as we cleaned up and edited records.  Then the circulation
component was added.  It has improved life for my clerk and made statistics
a breeze to collect.  But it is cumbersome and awkward to use.  Today I went
through at least 15 individual steps to produce a bibliography that still
had to brought into my word processing program for clean up.  The company
has also promised a module that will allow for electronic interlibrary
loan...but nothing yet.  Within the next few weeks my district will be
looking at Dynix Scholar (at my urging) since the elementary librarians do
not have the time to struggle as I have.  I am no computer junkie, but I am
competent and can work with a manual when one is half-way readable.

If you have specific questions, please do not hestitate to contact me
directly.
Kate Cronn
Oneida Senior High School
560 Seneca St.