Thanks to the many folks who responded to my unusual request. Some of you
asked for a hit. I'm posting the suggestions without names and addresses
since many of these were sent to me privately and I don't know the policy
on posting addresses in hits. I'd rather be a little overly cautious....
Anyhow, this is a great start for a bibliography. Anybody like to
collaborate with me on a reference book with lists like these? I'm only
half kidding.

Elizabeth Bluemle
City & Country School
146 W 13th Street
NYC, NY 10011
josie@blackbox.cc.columbia.edu
***

"A  favorite series for our 5th and 6th graders is the Alanna books by
Tamora Pierce."

"Bill Brittain has several titles, grades 3-6, that should
definitely be included in magicians.  I think the titles will be self
evident when you find him listed -- perhaps in Children's Catalog."

"The Houdini Box(don't remember author) 3rd and 4th graders love it."

"I would like to recommend 3 titles for your list.  They are all by
Bruce Coville and they are "The Monster Ring", "Jeremy Thatcher,
Dragonhatcher" and "Jennifer Murdley's Toad."  They are on 4-6th
grade reading level and revolve around items purchased in a magic shop which
have magical powers (i.e., a ring, an egg and a toad)."

"A few titles appropriate for 3-6 grades are:
The Time Warp Trio Series:
The good, bad, and the goofy
Your mother was a neanderthal
Knights of the kitchen table
The not-so-jolly Roger
All the above by Jon Scieszka
Also, The Houdini Box, By Brian Selznick    A chance encounter leaves a small
boy in possession of a mysterious box- one that might hold the secrets to the
greates magic tricks ever performed."

"What about _Mr. Mysterious and Company_ by Sid Fleishman?  It's
about 4th or 5th grade level."

"You might take a look at _Snow Spider _ by J. Nimmo.  The main
character is a boy named Gwyn who discovers he is a magician.  My top
readers often enjoy it in 5th grade."

"How about _The Magician_ by Sol Stein?  I also had a few fantasies
by Feist(?) entitled _The Magician_ , _Magician's Apprentice_, but
they got stolen within about a week of being placed on the shelves.
I never got to read them, so can't vouch for their worthiness.
Lastly, how about Mary Stewart's _The Crystal Cave_, which is about
King Arthur's Merlyn?  Oops, I just thought of one more
"lastly," Stephen King's _Eyes of the Dragon._  I think it's
his "tamest" book, suitable for libraries that don't usually
purchase King's books."

"I just read two.  The Amazing Felix is a new picture book by McCully and
Stranger in the Shadows by Belaires (sp) is a fiction book with two
magicians."

LM_NET Archive Home