We tried this last fall and spring and again just this past week (before
finals) this year.  BIG disappointment.  We have a student body of 2600
and attendance for last year's six dates (all dates and times before
finals, all selected in a survey of hundreds of students) was as follows:
17, 14, 16 (fall dates); 2,3,7 (spring dates); and 6,6,12 (this past
week).  Since I was not paid for this (work day was 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. on
those days) it seems to have been not very effective.  I should say that
we advertised in the daily bulletin, gave each teacher a poster to put up
in their room, had handouts on the tables in the library, and signs on the
doors of the library and at the exits to inform about the late hours.  We
also had a security guard (who WAS paid) for three of the nights.

A high school in a neighboring town used to do this once a week, but has
stopped it due to poor attendance.  They no longer wish to pay a clerk
additional monies for the two or three who showed up.  I can't blame them.

If we had just imposed the days and times without giving a choice to
students, I would perhaps understand, but the days and times were their
choices; so I am very disappointed.  I will not do this again.

Mark Williams
Colton High School Library
"The most valuable resource in a library goes home at night."

LM_NET Archive Home