I have a disc-changer that I need to hook up to a 486 IBM compatible.  I have
been procrastinating because it involves installing a card, which I have
never done on such a good computer.  I also know that I will have to reformat
(not sure that's the right word) the hard drive, and I'm afraid of wiping out
the stuff that's already on there.  Also, I know that I should use a menu
program for ease of use by the patrons and security purposes as well, but I
haven't yet purchased a menu program.  So, here are my questions for the
technical experts out there:
1.  Should I wait to have the menu program and install everything all at
once?
2.  Which menu program do you recommend, and does anyone have an address or
phone # for a good supplier?  (Our computer coordinator purchases software
for our building, and he isn't even interested in IBM stuff...)
3.  How likely am I to totally blow it and end up having to start from
scratch?  I am not usually so skiddish - I have had Apple IIe's apart and put
back together.  I unpacked the box the 486 came in, put it together, and
installed the mouse, sound, etc.
But I have no formal training on computer hardware, so I wonder about my
ability to do this.

Thank you very much to anyone who can advise me - I've put this off for close
to a year now, so I really need to get moving!

Beth McCheyne
Dunrobins@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home