What a good idea.  I often have girls asking for mysteries with a female
detective.

How about Cam Jansen series?  Sometimes a boy will think Cam is a boy and read
one of the books  then  like it so much he will go on to  read the whole series.

Also, The Boxcar children series is another suggestion.  I don't know if you can
count Ellen Raskins's The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel) and I
think Zilpha Snyder has a mystery series with a girl but I can't think of the
titles.  Do post a hit.

Janet Rawdon
Newton MA
rawdonj@a1.mec.mass.edu