I've got a list of books that will require several summers. It's a good thing
I can circulate this list and the responsibility and get others to do some of
the reading!

I'd like to add a book I consider a "must read"-- for its unbelievable look
at the world from inside a child, as well as for its political content:
_Stones from the River_ by Ursula Hegi, who also wrote _Floating in my
mother's palm_.  Stones covers 1915 to 1952 in the life of one German town
and its inhabitants. Beautifully written -- I would finish it faster if I
didn't keep going back to re-read passages.

And quicker and for fun, Whitney Otto's _How to make and American quilt_  not
really _Like water for chocolate_ with quilts instead of food, though it uses
the same sort of bridges between episodes. A neat look at an American
community.

Boy, are we going to have to get up early all summer, stay up all night, and
keep that video box off. What a glorious summer. Wish you'd all be around to
discuss the books as we read them.

Thanks,
Helen Seagraves   Hood River, OR  Hcgraves@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home