Speaking of Latin American fiction, as we are with Isabel Allende, I have
to say something here about Hispanic American fiction - strongly
influenced by the mystic/mythical influences of other Latin American
fiction.  I have just finished reading Rudolfo Anaya's *fBless Me,
Ultima*.  It is on our AP Spanish reading list, and is required as summer
reading this year for our AP English class as well.  So I thought I had
better read it.  Although I had to suspend my entirely rational, literal
belief system I really enjoyed it.  To go along with it - as exploration
of the Hispanic American experience and living in two cultures, I would
also suggest the two autobiographies of Richard Rodriquez - *Hunger of
Memory* and *Conversations With My Father* (I may not have the exact
title of the second).

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home