Can anyone out there help me?  We have a new minilab of Mac LC 575s,
applenetworked to an HP Deskjet printer.  We use Microsoft Works 4.0a for our
integrated software.  When the machines arrived last Oct., they had system
7.1 on them.  I installed Works, connected everything up and things went
great.  Then I realized I had no manuals nor did I have backup system
software.  I called Apple and was told I had to order them separately. I did.
 When they came, the system software, which was on CD Rom and that was fine,
was 7.5.  Being the typical American, I thought I should use the newest
thing, so I installed 7.5 on all five machines.  Ever since that time we have
had trouble with machines freezing - sometimes when editing, sometimes when
going to the printer.  After so many calls to Apple that I had my own case
number, and trying all kinds of strategies that they recommended, I got a
call from them one day telling me that it had been discovered that Microsoft
Works 4.0 and 4.0a had a glitch with system 7.5.  Specifically, if you
pressed "delete" more than twice in succession in a file, the machine would
freeze.  I was told to call Microsoft and they would send me an upgrade to
4.0a (4.0b). I did, I installed, and now we are getting more freezing not
less.  Before I make the toll call to Microsoft, I would love to know if
anyone has been down this path before.  Also, I am inclined to follow my
first instinct: reinitialize the hard drives, install 7.1, which I happen to
own personally, and reinstall the original Works 4.0.  Apple says this is
much too drastic.  Any informed opinions would be welcome.

Claire Simpson
South Valley School
Moorestown NJ
Clairesimp@aol.com