Dear Fellow Netters:

Thanks to those who responding to my question on how to train middle school
assistants.  I received some very good responses that I plan to implement next
year.  The responses I received are written below.  Have a wonderful summer!

Tina Pontikos
Tyrone Middle School

With regard to grading TAs, a colleague told me she uses the PHd + to
scan the sections that the TAs were responsible for shelving and graded
them on how well they did.  (She prints out a report that indicates if
any books are misshelved.)
Paula Hughart

Tina--I once felt as you do, but I became so busy that I had to realize
that these students are my assistants.  I do not show them any training
films.  Each is in charge of shelving part of the library and thus learns
about the way Dewey works.  Each files cards above the rods (no, we're
still no automated) and I correct them while they are watching and
explain why.  Each helps students find materials by using the card catalog.
Each is taught how to manipulate each computer and cd-rom program and how
to print.  Each makes copies for students, alphabetizes check out cards,
finds cards for books etc. etc.  I think they are learning quite a bit
just helping me!  I tell them  in the beginning that it is a job, not a
class and if they follow my directions, maintain a pleasant attitude, ask
question when they don't understand something, and work without being
supervised they will make a good grade.  No one seems to feel cheated.

Lynn McCree, Librarian

That Linworth Publishing Company has a great "professional Growth" series
on training student aides.   All there books a super.  Their Order # is
1-800-786-5017.  It's 19.95 (probably a little more by now) and is called
"Student Staff Manual".
Good luck...also, it would be nice if you could use 7th graders so you
could have them trained for the next year...
Carrie Everhart

When they began training, the first thing was usually shelving and
straightening shelves so they could get to know the library well. (I
explained that.)  Each aide was assigned a different color of shelf
marker, poster board cut about 2"X 14" or a little wider.  They were kept
in a box with a rubber band around them.  That way, I could check what
they shelved.  If the book was in the wrong place, I took it off, put the
shelf marker back in it and put it back on the "ready to be shelved"
cart.  That way, each day they came, they knew what they had missed and
knew to ask why it was wrong.  That gave me the opportunity to explain
the problem (usually decimals).  They got to where it was a "game" to
have fewer books to reshelve than the other aides.

I explained that *accuracy* was much more important than speed.  Often I also
had to teach a lesson in decimals and alphabetizing to the 3rd and 4th letter!
(It's sometimes surprising what students don't know when they are actually
*applying* what the teacher has told them in class.)

Usually that kept them busy until I had time to give them another step.
When they learned to put cards into the card catalog (a *real*
alphabetizing experience!), I order "flags" from Highsmith.  (They are
those cards that are cut like catalog cards but stick up about 1/2 inch
and that part is red.  The holes are not "closed" at the bottom so you
just pull them out as you check the cards.  (If you are still using
catalog cards, you might need to take a couple of drawers home for "paper
grading.")

Gradually I added computer skills, etc.  Many times I just took them to
the computers and told them to watch me so they could learn how to handle
a situation.

I also tried to vary their duties.  Shelving books and filing cards very
quickly become drudgery it they are not interspersed with some "fun"
duties like dealing with other students and running errands.

Good luck!

Betty

LM_NET Archive Home