I received 29 responses to my questions about the shelf list which were:
1. Should I continue to maintain it at all?
2. Is there any reason to maintain it temporarily?
Seven recommended keeping and maintaining the shelf list permanently; 22
recommended keeping it temporarily.
Some reasons for keeping it permanently were:
1. as a backup in the event of a failure of both the system and the backup.
2. as a repository for specialized info, e.g., donor's name, grant funds,
which system software cannot accommodate.
3. to track errors in conversion of data from s. list to MARC if you have
sent records to a company for conversion.
4. to provide a paper trail of info about books which turn up 2 or 3 yrs.
after records are removed from computer.

Those who advocated keeping it temporarily recommended keeping it until
any problems with MARC had been cleaned up.  Data should be backed up
with a copy on the site and one off site.

Thanks to all of you who took time from your summer and preparations for
ALA to respond.
Pat Rosemary
John R. Downes School
Newark, DE 19711