Greetings LM_Netters!

        A representative of Gale Research at the ALA Convention in
Chicago told me yesterday that Gale Resaerch will give a 40% discount off
the $700 price to update from an older edition of Discovering Authors.  I
agreed with Sandra Lee Parks' message last month (see below), and I still
think that Gale Research is charging too much to update their software
products.  Some of the big software companies (e.g. Microsoft, etc.) don't
charge that much for upgrades, and I don't know too many moderate size
software companies that charge big bucks for an update or upgrade.
        BTW, the new Discovering Authors disk edition has an additional 60
authors and some modified information of the current authors.
        How do you feel about Gale Research's new update policy?  If I
get a enough responses, I'll post a HIT.

                        Regards,

                        David Levin     d-levin@bgu.edu
                        Media Center Director
                        Rich Central High School
                        Olympia Fields, IL

On Mon, 8 May 1995, Sandra Lee Parks wrote:

> I just got a mailing from Gale Research that there is an update
> for Discovering Authors, as well as additional modules that you
> can add on. I purchased Discovering Authors (network version)
> for $700.00 2 years ago and have been happy with it, and would
> consider purchasing the update (and perhaps one or two of the
> additional modules) except that to get the update you would
> essentially have to purchase the whole thing all over again
> (i.e., another $700.00). I have complained to the company that
> some kind of discount should be offered to existing purchasers,
> but I got the standard response "thank you, your input is very valuable
> to us." If anyone else out there feels the same way, please
> call the company and let them know. Maybe if enough of us
> complain, they will offer a discount.
>

> Sandy Parks
> Harrisonburg High School
> Harrisonburg, VA