I must disagree.  The book I'll Love You Forever  by Robert Munsch is a
favorite at my school whenever anyone does a cross generational unit.  I
find it an extremely moving book and most everyone I know cries whenver
they read it aloud.

Students need to see the powerful emotions the written word can cause.
I especially cried this year when I read it because my mother has Alzheimer's
and the role reversal of caring for an elderly parent moved me and my
students.

Students must also see that love in unconditional.  I like The Giving
Tree too.
We used it at our tree planting ceremony at the end of school.  Every
book is not always equal and just.  There are a lot of victims.  What is
wrong with discussing these issues with the students?

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, Shannon Acedo wrote:

> Claire--
> I'm happy to hear someone else who shares my opinion about _I'll always
> love you_--it always makes me shudder when I read it (my kids like
> it--and I don't want to highlight negatives they may not catch...).  The mom
> creeping into her grown son's window at night to cradle him seems
> especially creepy. I thought I was the only one...
>
> Shannon Acedo (acedos@marlborough.la.ca.us)
> Marlborough School
> 250 S. Rossmore Ave.
> Marlborough School
> Los Angeles CA 90004
> (213)935-1147
>

> On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, Claire Simpson wrote:
>
> > I agree with Allison Williams about "The Giving Tree." Love means giving and
> > taking on both sides.  My husband of almost 40 years - egad! - is the one who
> > pointed that out to me when he heard me rave positively about the book years
> > ago. It's a victim book.  Another book I perceive as negative for different
> > reasons, and I have found only one person who agrees with me, is "I'll always
> > Love You." The parent child relationship in the book is, to me, tunnelled.
> >  Where is everybody else in the family - father, daughter-in-law, etc.?  I
> > don't expect to find any more people who feel that way. Most people LOVE the
> > book.  Claire Simpson

LM_NET Archive Home