Claire--
I'm happy to hear someone else who shares my opinion about _I'll always
love you_--it always makes me shudder when I read it (my kids like
it--and I don't want to highlight negatives they may not catch...).  The mom
creeping into her grown son's window at night to cradle him seems
especially creepy. I thought I was the only one...

Shannon Acedo (acedos@marlborough.la.ca.us)
Marlborough School
250 S. Rossmore Ave.
Marlborough School
Los Angeles CA 90004
(213)935-1147

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995, Claire Simpson wrote:

> I agree with Allison Williams about "The Giving Tree." Love means giving and
> taking on both sides.  My husband of almost 40 years - egad! - is the one who
> pointed that out to me when he heard me rave positively about the book years
> ago. It's a victim book.  Another book I perceive as negative for different
> reasons, and I have found only one person who agrees with me, is "I'll always
> Love You." The parent child relationship in the book is, to me, tunnelled.
>  Where is everybody else in the family - father, daughter-in-law, etc.?  I
> don't expect to find any more people who feel that way. Most people LOVE the
> book.  Claire Simpson

LM_NET Archive Home