Is this the Munsch book ( sorry if I spelled that wrong) the story is
based on the author's experience. He and his wife adopted several babies
who were not well and the babies died. The little song is the one that
they sang to their departed children. The book is very simply a statement
that parents will always love and remember their children and that there
will always be a bond between parent and child - forever. It is certainly
not unhealthy - if you are a parent, aren't there times when no matter
how old your children are, you are overcome with a deep love for them. I
feel that way and sometimes I think about my children so that in my mind
I am checking up on them. It is not unhealthy by any means. I really,
really like them and I think that they feel that way about me. And that
is not my whole life by any means.

I know this because I have met and talked to the author.

Cynthia LaPier, MLS
SCT BOCES                 Computer Services Center
School Library System
459 Philo Rd.             Elmira, NY 14903
FON 607-739-3581          FAX 607-796-5125

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Cecil Ralph Roberts wrote:

> I have -Love You Forever- which is the correct title in my library. The
> children and teachers like it.  I find it to be a very touching and
> emotional book, so I seldom read it aloud, but I do recommend it to
> students and teachers.  I think children see it as the author
> intended- to show a mother's love for her children. To me it just
> illustrates how mothers love their children forever.  I think the book is
> written as much for adults as for children because we have the memories
> of mother's and father's love and care.
> I don't think the author wanted to show a "strange lady" checking up on
> her grown son.  He just wanted to show that love is forever. CRR@Tenet.edu
> On Thu, 29 Jun
> 1995, Shannon Acedo wrote:
>
> > I think it's important to discuss complex issues and emotions with
> > students, but what I don't like to bring up with my 5 year old when she
> > begs me to read _I'll always love you_ is how wierd it seems to me that
> > this woman has nothing else in her life but her son, and how strange it
> > seems that she follows him around and checks up on him (when he's grown
> > and gone) while he's sleeping.  My daughter likes it, and I don't need
> > her to share my view that it seems unhealthy.  When she's bigger we can
> > go into the complexities a bit more thoroughly.
> >
> > Shannon Acedo (acedos@marlborough.la.ca.us)
> > Marlborough School
> > 250 S. Rossmore Ave.
> > Marlborough School