I have been very interested in the discussion of The Giving Tree and the
Munch book, because to me they are both about unconditional love, be it
parent or God.  As a Christian, I can't help but equate both books with
the unconditional love showed to us by a heavenly father.  As a
librarian, they are useful in getting some students to think of others,
and not always just about themselves.  Thanks for the interesting topics
in this group.  I look forward to other thought provoking discussions.

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Wade Houston Weiler wrote:

> I think you and I, Tim, might be the few who share this view of The
> Giving Tree. I think it's a classic, and it IS, as you say, about
> unconditional love. The emotions that are stirred ARE strong, but that is
> precisely the reason I am drawn to it. One can see that the theme of the
> book is not fitting into the "Me - Generation".
>
> Wade H. Weiler    "Visualize Whirled Peas..." =:-)
> Irving, TX   Internet: wadew@tenet.edu
>

> On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Tim Lance wrote:
>
> > I don't usually reply to the group, but...
> >
> > Am I the only one who sees the story as unconditional love?  As a parent
> > it's all I can see and I think I'm a fairly decent person (male)
> > besides.  I use the book with 2 others in a set of storytimes dealing
> > with giving (not giving and receiving) - A tree is nice and The gift of the
> > tree.  This book is *real*.
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > Tim Lance / Librarian
> > Cook Elementary / Austin ISD (Texas)