My thanks to everyone who contributed to my question about library
newsletters.  Please excuse the Hit that went out without this thanks--lost
of problems contacting the server, then I didn't know it stayed on the
queue and went out as I accessed my email.  Well, we learn something new
everyday!  Two last contributions came in this morning, so I am including them
here.  Many thanks!

Eddie

Dear Eddie,
Yes I send out newsletters.  I try for monthly, but the second half of
the year--it becomes quarterly.  I try to keep articles short and to the
point.  Besides the new book thing I also include: tidbits gathered from
LM_NET that would be of interest to many; upcoming specials on
Educational TV;  Did you remember that the media center has (good use for
sources that are not being used, but should be used); last year I
included a title list of all science A-V materials (I intended to cover
each of the disciplines, but we automated and all good intentions were
lost)--I had a very good response to this; reminders on copyright if
infringements are noticed.

I use Clarisworks--word processing and use the 2 column approach.
Simple, but easily edited.

Hope this helps you.

Randie McGurrin
Zebulon Middle School
Zebulon, NC

I am a district librarian in a dist. of 2,000 students and 4 school sites.  I
do a newsletter and have received many kudos regarding this.  I am amazed to
hear what can occur with these!  My initial reasoning was to let teachers
know even if I am not at their school site, I am planning and I am busy
elsewhere.  Often the perception is, if you don't see her, she must be lazing
around.  You figure!

I include all kinds of stuff, but the most important thing is the calendar.
 Teachers love this!  They like to know it's chocolate week, or Black History
Month, or whatever.  I rarely highlight books, except as fillers.  Too many
sites with diff. grade levels.  I include the funny stuff I find on
teaching--often in the back of teacher journals and any info about freebies
is greatly appreciated by them.  All library programs, etc. are included.

I limit my newsletter to one page only.  Teachers don't want to read a ton of
other stuff.  I bold items that pertain to school sites to allow them to skim
easily.  Sometimes, thou rarely, I include personal stuff.  My dad died this
past fall and I thanked them for their thoughts, etc.

Good luck, this is one of the best things I've ever done.  Great P.R.

(I use an IBM)

Linda Elliott
Elliott688@aol.com

Eddie van Rossum Daum