Laura Manthey wrote about working as a library aide, but in reality is a "fake
librarian" as there is no trained librarian to supervise, advise, etc.  She
asked if this is a common sistuation.
   I am a credentialed school librarian and credentialed teacher (both are
required in CA for a school library job).  I work in one of the few districts
that still have credentialed librarians in all schools - elementary through
high school.
     However, my son is about to enter kindergarden in a different (our
neighborhood) school district where there is only a credentialed librarian at
the high school and she is responsible for supervising the middle and
elementary schools where they have persons titled "librarian" who even have
"library aides", but these people are not credentialed librarians and in fact
are non-credentialed.  I am concerned that parents are unaware of this as most
people think a person CALLED a librarian is in fact a trained librarian.
     This seems to be a financial issue as a non-credentialed person is paid
less than a credentialed one and in view of all our budget woes, districts try
to cut corners as much as they can...  What's the solution, I don't know.

Susan Smith, Library Media Teacher
Local telementor
susansm@telis.org
Seaside High School, Seaside, CA