On Sun, 7 May 1995, susansm wrote:

> Laura Manthey wrote about working as a library aide, but in reality is a "fake
> librarian" as there is no trained librarian to supervise, advise, etc.  She
> asked if this is a common situation.

Group,

You all remember the friend that I told you about who took the "library
aide's" job in a small nearby school after they eliminated the
"librarian's" position?  Most of you were as indignant as I that the
school would publish a library aide job description that would require a
trained librarian to do.

Well, my friend who is very bright and has always been an avid library
user took the "library aide's" job and is "supervised" by an English
teacher.  Anyway, I saw her in the grocery store the other day, and I
asked her how things are going.  The first thing she said was "I had no
idea .....!"  She asked me how long it would be before she stopped lying
awake at night worrying.  Even though she loves the job, she realizes
there is much to be done.  My feeling is that she probably doesn't even
*know* how much needs to be done since she doesn't have a library
school background.

She's working hard, however, and the teachers appreciate her enthusiasm
and efforts.

Betty

Betty Dawn Hamilton
<bhamilt@tenet.edu>