Hi,

I'm Arthur Winzenried, Teacher/Librarian cum Information Manager at a
secondary school with both day and boarding students. We currently run a 24
hour internal LAN for Library resources and are electronically catelogueing
everything from books to scanned images, video and internet web sites using
a multimedia library package (IBM windows NT based). We use US Mrac format
records and have invented our own means of recording internet, virtual and
web site materials. Currently we are checking out the possibility of
extending our present 24 dial in service for students to an online service
to several other campuses in this State (Victoria). Doing this via satelite
would seem the most economic means.

I'm just wanting to know if there are any of you out there who have some
thoughts on the future shape of things and the future role of the Teacher
Librarian in particular. I mean, with all the electronic wizardry out there,
are future TLs going to have to be computer technicians, internet fanatics,
etc. or is there some other future in store? It seems to me that if we are
going to plan future library staff and facilities here at Lilydale, we need
to have some ideas of what people we plan to place therein.

Do any Libraries out there have five or ten year plans that are futuristicly
orientated rather than extensions of existing facilities? If so, what sort
of things do you envisage? Our own technician is suggesting that virtual reality
cubicals might be one way to go. The mind boggles a little. Any thoughts?

I would appreciate your ideas and thoughts as to how you see the future
opening out and ways that various schools are assessing future needs. The
kind of factors Librarians and resource people generally see as important in
the immediate future.

Any bright ideas?
Dr Arthur Winzenried
Information Manager/Librarian