Here, as promised, are the lyrics to the song Would you like to swing on a
star.  A few people asked for them.

Would you like to swing on a star?
Carry moonbeams home in a jar?
Or be better off than you are?
Or would you rather be a fish?

A fish is an animal that swims in a brook
He can't write his name or read a book.
To fool the people is his only thought.
And though he's slippery he still gets caught!
But then if that sort of life is what you wish....
You may grow up to be a fish!

(refrain)
Or would you rather be a pig?

A pig is an animal with dirt on his face
His shoes are a terrible disgrace.
He has no manners when he eats his food
He's fat and lazy and extremely rude.
But if you don't care a feather or a fig...
You may grow up to be a pig!

(refrain)
Or would you rather be a mule?

A mule is an animal with long funny ears
He kicks up at everything he hears.
His back is brawny and his brain is weak
He's just plain stupid with a stubborn streak
And by the way, if you hate to go to school....
You may grow up to be a mule!

And all the monkeys aren't in the zoo.
Everyday you meet quite a few
So you see it's all up to you...
You can be better than you are...
You could be swinging on a star!

---------

And here is some other information people sent me:

>If you have access to WWW there is a site with lyrics that you'll be able
to find the rest.  Just go to Yahoo and do a search there.

>Bing Crosby sings it in Going My Way. [snip] Bing is a priest with a chorus
of neighborhood kids and he wrote the song for
them. I remember hearing it on the radio often in my growing up days!

>if you check out the movie with Bing Crosby "Going My Way" the
kids sing the whole song for the agent.

>the words to the song you requested are from the song "Swinging on a Star"
which
can be found in Unforgettable Musical Memories, a Reader's Digest Songbook
published in 1984, editor William L. Simon, ISBN #0-89577-278-0

Thanks to all of you who supplied the above information, as well as those of
you who wrote about great memories singing this song with your families -
two of you asked your mothers for the lyrics!  The teacher who wanted this
info is tech-savvy, but was still overwhelmed by the quantity of replies,
the warmth and personal messages which accompanied the useful information.
I just told her what we all know - librarians are the BEST!

Thanks to all
--Suzanne

--
Suzanne Cane