A very excellent resource is Black Women in America from Carlson
Publishing.  It is a 2 volume set with bios of entertainers, educators,
historic figures, notable contemporaries.  It also has encylopedic entries
such as Spelman College.  This work is used extensively by my students.
It is appropriate for middle school, high school and adults.  Might be
suitable for upper elemetary students if they are good readers.  I paid
$99 for this last spring. I believe it retails for $149, but recently
received a flier that they were overstocked (underfinanced?) and needed to
liquidate about 75 sets at the reduced price of $49--a bargain beyond belief.

Audrey Glick
Monroe Traditional Middle School

aglick@freenet.columbus.oh.us

LM_NET Archive Home