The school library should be involved with the integrated planning,
execution and delivery of information resources and services...

Seconding what Jamie McKenzie has said, NuevaNet has tied our AUP to our
Library Selection Policy and the ALA Bill of Rights and its
interpretations.

Debbie Abilock              "It is important that students bring a certain
The Nueva School            ragamuffin barefoot irreverence to their studies;
6565 Skyline Blvd.          they are not here to worship what is known,
Hillsborough, CA 94010      but to question it."  (Jacob Bronowski)

On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, McKenzie, Jamie wrote:

> We in schools need Board policies, not AUPs.  There is a big difference.
>
> Most AUPs are too limited in scope.  They often do not address issues of
> freedom of access to
> information, the roles of teachers, the relationship to curriculum, the
> selection of curriculum materials,
> the roles of parents, etc.
>
> AUPs originally emerged from regional networks which have tended to
> emphasize rules and procedures
> and behavior.  There are broad philosophical and pedagogical issues which
> require and deserve attention from any district venturing onto the WWW.
>
> We attempted to address all such issues in the Bellingham BOE policy which
> is available at:
>
> http://www.bham.wednet.edu
>
> With best wishes,
> Jamie McKenzie
> Director of Libraries, Media and Technology
> Bellingham, WA
> jmckenzie@msmail.bham.wednet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home