There has beenfrequent discussion on the net about encyclopedias. I have
just started using Britannica and it is heads and tails above the
multimedia encyclopedias for middle, high school and college students. The
material has depth and is inexhaustable in the interesting cross-referencing.
It makes students use all kinds of reasearching s kills as they go deeper
into the subject they were originally searching. I was always dismayed by
all the "bells and whistles" with the
multimedia  encyclopedias and felt there was more cuteness than content.
        Pricing is interesting. Networked Britannica is way above 1,200
when I last called.  But  there is a home version for 500 and now some
of us
have free access through university connections which has Britannica on
their home page for people with accounts.  It seems to me it is a must
for all libraries. s
                        Sarah Peckham. Marian High School
                        7400 Military Ave, Omaha, NE
                        SPeckham@Marian.Creighton.edu