in addition  to the problem of the cataloging from the book companies -on
an automated system many people are cataloging books they buy from
vendors or have been donated-most of the people doing this are not
librarians and i spend a large part of my free time cleaning up records
whenever I see mistakes-it can be as simple as one clerk putting in
titles(and sometimes author's) in all caps because it looks nice-with no
regard to consistency. The tech person in charge of the system probably
spends at laest 1/4 of her time cleaning up the records.

Sharyn Udell Mckee
Turnbull Learning Academy
San Mateo, Ca 94402
smckee@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us