We allow parents to sign up for a "library card" i.e. i put them in the
data base. I allow them to cheeck out 2 books at a time and when they
brinhg those in they may check out 2 more. Fortunately only about 20
parents do this regularly. I'm afraid if more did I would have no books
left for kids. I could then allow them to only take one I suppose. Anyway
I do this because we are encouraging literacy and parents reading to
their kids. Many of our children have no books in their homes and the
public library is not in walking distance nor easy to get to by bus. We
also have a book exchange started with books provided by our wonderful
local assistance league. And I give a book to any child that does their
20 minutes of reading a night for a month. It is so sqad that so many
kids have such limited access to books.

Sharyn Udell Mckee
Turnbull Learning Academy
San Mateo, Ca 94402