Recently, I posted a question asking for people to respond to their initial
reaction to The Middle Passage.  I also asked them to discuss if it was a
children's book.  I had about 20 replies.  Everyone was impressed with the
book and moved by the art.  Most felt that it was a secondary and adult book.

At the Penn Charter School (Philadelphia) I gave it to our African American
faculty members.  They said that it was an important book but again said
that it was more appropriate for high school collections.  Two said that
they felt that the charcoal illustrations blunted and softened the impact.
I gave it to two psychologists who both said that it was an adult and high
school book.

I featured it at Rutgers yesterday at a workshop.  I always pick 5 books of
the year that I feel will be important.  The Middle Passage was my first
choice.  It is an important book both as a history and as a work of art.

Ray Barber

LM_NET Archive Home