We have run a program for over 15 years called Literary Club in which
small groups of students (6-10) meet with two trained leaders (parents,
teachers, administrators) who facilitate the discussion of a literary
work.  Last year several third/fourth grade groups read and discussed THE
GIVER, in connection with the year's theme of COMMUNITY.  This year
several fifth/sixth grade groups are discussion the book, not connected
to the Level's theme.  It has been extremely successful from the point of
view of the students, the parent/adult leaders, and has been
well-received generally by parents or teachers who have read the book.  I
have observed many of the groups discussing the novel during the course
of those two years, as part of my role of administrator of the program,
and have found the level of understanding high.   Students achieve a deep
understanding of the novel as they work together in a group, facilitated
by adults trained to question, paraphrase, summarize and act as "traffic"
controllers.  All in all, I have no reservations about using this book
with elementary-aged students in this setting.
Debbie Abilock              "It is important that students bring a certain
The Nueva School            ragamuffin barefoot irreverence to their studies;
6565 Skyline Blvd.          they are not here to worship what is known,
Hillsborough, CA 94010      but to question it."  (Jacob Bronowski)

On Wed, 1 Nov 1995, Pat Bartoshesky wrote:

> Carla,
>         You found The Giver depressing and even maddening.  I liked it,
> but agree that it is pretty heavy.  I was VERY surprised to have the
> mother of one of our 4th graders tell me very earnestly how much she and
> her son enjoyed reading and discussing it! This reinforces my confusion
> about the conflict between the child's right to privacy about what he may
> choose to read and the parent's desire to protect kids from material that
> is/may be beyond their emotional capacity. Does anyone else have
> reservations about The Giver for 9-year olds?
>
> :)    Pat Bartoshesky            Saint Edmond's Academy (Gr.4-8, boys only)
> :)    <pbarto@udel.edu>          2120 Veale Rd.  Wilmington DE 19810-4199
> :)     302-475-5370              FAX: 302-475-2256

LM_NET Archive Home