I also feel compelled to put my 2-cents into the discussion of The Giver.  I
read it after my son's 5th grade teacher told me it was recommended for the
class.  I found it to be excellent and very thought provoking.  I initiated
discussion with my son who did not see much of anything beyond agood sci-fi read
in it.  I felt this was an appropriate response for his age.  I was anxious,
however, to discuss it with another adult because I enjoyed it so much.  I
called the teacher and we had a great dialog.  I think the book does no harm at
elem. level, but it could do lots of good at middle and high school level.

Alice V. Schroeder                   gbtsmc@esslink.com
The Gilbert School
Winsted, CT

LM_NET Archive Home