Jean -

The proper key to prevent your extensions from loading (which sometimes
conflict with the install program) is Shift Key, _not_ spacebar. If you
have an Apple keyboard, push the Shift key and hold throughout the boot
process until you see the dialog which says...
            Welcome to Macintosh
                Extensions Off

You can let up on the shift key at this point. Once your boot is
complete, insert your Install floppy and proceed.

If you are using a non-Apple keyboard, wait until the arrow appears in
the upper left corner of the screen before pressing down the Shift key.
(something about timing -- don't ask me why, I just know it works!)

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Jean
Townes wrote:

> I don't know if this will work for everybody, but a techie suggested that
> when I was having difficulty installing MS Works on a 5200 that I hold
> down the space bar while booting the machine.  This would turn off
> extensions.  Then after I loaded it when I rebooted the machine again the
> extensions would
> turn back on.  I don't understand the technicalities of this but it worked
> for me.

LM_NET Archive Home