Our school has a policy of requiring students and staff (K-5) to wear book
related costumes. I discovered this last year when I was new to the school.
From the first moment I started taking classes, I was getting requests for
books with cowboys, ballerinas, hippies, etc. It got really old really fast,
at least for me. I got more than a little frustrated because, to me, this was
missing the point. I wanted them to choose a favorite book, THEN a costume.
Not quite what happened. But it did help control the number of military,
gory, and ninja type costumes.

I did a Mrs. Frizzle style costume. Found Halloween material and made a dress
and bought a cheap red frizzy wig. Of course I was new and hardly anyone
recognized me but at least I was there in an appropriate costume! I'm trying
for Miss Rumphius this year but forgot to buy a package of lupine seeds in
the spring so am on a hunt for some now. Walking shoes, blue demin skirt,
green cape (still have to make it!) and my grandmother's switch made into a
bun.

Let's hear some more good ideas!

Laura Manthey
San Jose, CA