     I believe very strongly in the freedom to read and the responsibility of
librarians to do all they can to protect this right. However, I had some
personal misgivings about celebrating Banned Book WEEk in my middle school
library. I would be very interested to read the comments of others.
     Fir the second year, I displayed ALA Banned Books posters on the hall
bulletinboard...... As a new venture, I distributed to all faculty a flyer
with a list of the most frequently banned books in the early 1990's. On the
reverse was a copy of a brochure for a banned books read-in in Albany. In
addition, I displayed some of these books on library tables. Beside each one
stood a brown paper bag on which was written "BANNED" in black underscored by
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Beneath that was printed in red "Celebrate the Freedom to
REad".
     I found myself worrying about who would read these lists and perhaps be
encouraged to look into why our library had them. When student asked for
copies of the list I found myself reluctant to give it out, but did anyway.
Some adults and some children did not know whether I was against banning
books or in support of it. Most students were outraged that these titles had
been successfully banned.
     I may be more sensitive because there was a challenge last year in your
elementary school. Parents objected to a curriculum including the teaching of
Native American mythology.
     Perhaps feeling and opinion about this matter would be of interest to
all. Have you felt uncomfortable about this tactic in fighting the current
trend to challenge and ban books.

Hildegard N. Pleva
hpleva@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home