Of course, charge for a replacement!  Third grade is not too young to
understand the concept of responsibility.
One exception...if the book can be completely fixed by the bindery, I
would just charge the re-bind costs.  I don't know about your district,
but we have a once a year--district-wide--contract to send books to a
bindery for repairs.  This will be cheaper than replacing the book, but
only if the damages are such that a new binding will restore the
book to an acceptable state.

Cheryl
        Cheryl Bybee, Director of Library Services --  Northside ISD
        6632 Bandera Road, Bldg. D              San Antonio, TX 78238
                        (210)522-8190     cbybee@tenet.edu

On 3 Oct 1995, Kim Sherriff wrote:

> I had a third grader turn in a brand new book and tell me that some pages
> are torn out because her little brother got a hold of it.  I looked and
> the pages were partially torn out of the binder.  I appreciated her
> honesty, yet am in a quandary--do I charge for the whole book ($9.15)?
> What do all of you do when you discover a damaged book and know who is
> responsible (aside from explaining AGAIN how she needs to take care of
> her librar books)?
>
> Kim Sherriff
> GRIMES@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU

LM_NET Archive Home