I had so many responses and requests for a HIT that I will capsulize them
into three camps:  1) charge the cost of the entire book 2) charge a
damage fee (no more than $3) 3) do not charge, but reinforce the lesson.
A few stated that if it occurred again (with the same student), then they
would charge for the whole book.  Many stated that if the student pays
for the book, then they give it to them.  However, my library aide with
almost 20 years experience has the fear that kids will damage a book
(such as Stine's Goosebumps and other popular ones) so they can keep it.
WE are in a rural community with no public library in sight so this is a
real possibility.  Almost everyone said that a good way to avoid future
damage is to show them damaged books and teach them a lesson it ie.  ask
them "What could have caused the damage, What could have been done to
prevent the damage, etc".

Kim Sherriff
GRIMES@CCIT.ARIZONA.EDU

LM_NET Archive Home