Dear LM_netters,
Here is the remainder of the HIT on Easier Dewey solutions.  Thank-you
all again so much!  I hope I haven*t forgotten or lost any.  I don*t
seem to have a filing system, it is more of a piling system!  I beg
your pardons if I left any out.

*Catalogs such as Wonderstorms from World Almanac, Robert Jacobsen,
Upstart, DEMCO and Highsmith offer posters and shelf markers for the
Dewey sections.
*Hanging typical objects and items over appropriate sections.
*Placing bright cards with little cartoon drawings (created by an
artist friend) on the ends of the shelves listing the hundred ranges
of the Dewey categories.
*Painting color-coded stripes on the binding (purple for biogs for
ex.).  Be sure to make a poster to explain the colors including the
numbers that go with each color, so it is the numbers that tell the
story.
*Contact the OCLC in Ohio and look in SLJ for ads for *BIBLIO-VISUEL*
a new poster/shelf-marker system designed by a Canadian artist with a
very kid oriented picture graphics for each category.
*Use as many whole numbers as possible, with only one decimal place if
necessary.  Simplify the 900*s.  It makes no sense to place countries
in two different places (geography vs. history).
*ALA graphics catalog poster *Numbers You Can Count ON.*
*Picture spine labels above the regular Dewey spine label, horses,
cats, dogs, dinosaurs.  Usable in both fiction and non-fiction.
*Several mentioned playing Dewey number games with students to
introduce them to the Dewey *addresses*.
*Use metal bookends and bend the part that goes under the books in a
hook shape (place the bookend on the edge of a table top and bend down
and under).  Then books like eyewitness books can be faced out and
displayed.  It gives the library a decorated look and assists the
children in finding the books they need.
Thanks again to all who wrote!
Thanks also to those of you who sent words of encouragement, they were
greatly appreciated!

Cathron Cole-O*Connor
ccole@unlinfo.unl.edu

LM_NET Archive Home