A tender topic came up at a curriculum meeting in my district yesterday: In
our school, any "damage" money that is collected from students, such as for
lost phy-ed locker locks or damaged media center books, is not put back
into the budget of the department which has to replace those items, but
rather is sent to the business office, then ends up in the general fund. In
a school district I worked in prior to this one, the money was always put
into the account from which replacement materials must be purchased. My
curriculum coordinator, who is also new to this district, would like to
know which practice is more common.
So my question to you is: when you collect money from students for lost or
damaged books, is the money put into the account from which you purchase
books, or do you surrender it to your business office to be used at their
discretion?

LM_NET Archive Home