I asked for info around the country on recommended number of library books
suggested as meeting a minimum standard.  Most people suggested I refer
to Information Power an ALA publication.  Others suggested consulting
School Library Journal.(coincidentally, the Oct. issue is full of this
type of info)

Southeastern Accred. of Colleges & Schools(SAC)--recommends a minimum of
                 10 books per student enrolled.

North Central Accred. of Colleges/Schools(NCA)--for enrollments of
                 1,000-1,999 you should have 8400 books plus 4 volumes
                 for each student over 1,000.

Northwest Assoc. of Schools/College(Accred. Standards)--schools with
                 501-1,000 enrollments should have 7,200 books, including
                 5,760 non duplicating titles and 4,608 should be non-
                 fiction.

                 1,001-1,800 enrollments should have 9,600 volumes including
                 7,680 non duplicated titles with 6,144 being non fiction.

              501,-1,000 should have 40 periodicals and a book budget of
                     $3,000 or $5. per student, whichever is greater.
             over 1,001  should have 50 periodicals and a book budget of
                     $4,500 of $4. per student whichever is greater.

Missouri--1000-1,999 enrollment should have 11,500 books plus 6 for each
                    student over 1,000.  Count only 5 copies of the same
                    title.  Encyclopedias must be within the last 5 yrs.

Maryland--Junior/Middle schools should have a minimum collection of
                     15,000 library media "items". (Books, etc)

British Schools Library Assoc.--8-10 books per pupil is considered
                     adequate. A most recent recommendation by HM
                     Inspectorate "A useful rule of thumb for Primary
                     Schools is to aim at 1,500-2,000 for a central
                     collection and then an additional 200 books per
                     classroom."

I hope I did justice to all the responses I received.   Most people
lamented that their schools did not meet the required "minimum" standard.
I appreciated all the responses, especially that from the Northwest which
gave a number to non-fiction items which I found most helpful. Thanks again.

Marge Woodley   Mattawoman Middle School  Waldorf, MD 20603

LM_NET Archive Home