The following are the replies I got in response to information
about Eric Carle a week ago.  Thanks to all who sent info!

You might contact Dr. Jeanette Laughlin-Porterat the University
of

Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS. I just finished my
MLIS there this

summer. Until I attended, I did not know they give out an
annual Children's

Lit award. Ezra Jack Keats was so impressed that he left most
of his

original work and loads of books to them when he passed away. I
am sure

she has info on Carle and well as a lot of other authors she
may be

willing to share. Sorry I don't have her phone or address
nearby but she

is in the school of Library and Information Sciences.

I also don't know if she has an e-mail address but the
instructor in the

office next to her does - Dr. M J Norton
(mjnorton@whale.st.usm.edu)

--

Slainte! May today bring a great new story for your repetoire!

T.K.Cassidy, MLIS -- Guam Talebearers; president/cofounder

                  -- Librarian, Upi Elementary

        Eric Carle was born in Syracuse NY, and lived here
until he was

6 years old, when his parents returned to their native Germany.
He spoke

at a conference here in 1994. I have 2 local newspaper
articles, from

April '94 and Sept. '92 which I could snail-mail or fax to you.
Both

articles provide info. about his growing-up in Nazi Germany,
repression

of creativity at that time, motivation behind his work, etc. I
met him

when he was signing books at the IRA conference in Toronto in
May 1994,

and heard raves from people who had attended his seminar on
collage art.

        Let me know if you'd like me to send or fax you copies
of the articles.

Whenever I need author info I check to see who published his
last book

and contact the publisher.  Usually works very well!

There is a good video called Eric Carle: Picture Writer
available from

Scholastic.

--
Kathy Lafferty