Many thanks to everyone who responded, I was asked by several people to post a
hit -- so here it is:
the "Jack" stories originated in England, or Scotch/Irish to be more specific.
There are popular in the Tennessee/North Carolina area of the Great Smoky
Mountains where these people settled.  The tales can be found in Jack Tales
by Richard Chase, and Chase's Grandfather Tales as well as old fairy tale books
by Lang, etc.
Some variations of the story are:
        Jack and the Bean Tree by Gail Haley
        The Giants Toe by Brock Cole (labeled a prequel)
        Jack and the Wonder Bean by James Still
        Jim and the Beanstalk by Raymond Briggs
        Jack and the Beanstalk by Cauley
        Jack and the Beanstalk by John Howe.

Thanks again--my Cooperative Learning teacher was suitably impressed.
Darlene Basone  Mayerson Academy  Cincinnati, OH  basoneds@ucbeh.san.uc.edu

LM_NET Archive Home