I have used the "Tailypo" story many times in storytimes.  My library
featured it at a storytime we did at a Halloween party sponsored by a
local hospital where the children came dressed up, listened to stories
and got treats.  I also told the story at a mini-storytelling festival at
the University of Michigan.

The "Tailypo" is one of my favorite stories to tell.  I am originally
from the Appalacian area--West Virginia--so I can use this as an opener
when I am telling it.  I also use dialect when telling it.  I like to
have a helper along to operate our "Tailypo" puppet.  The puppet is a
spider-like monster puppet with wild hair, big green eyes, legs and a
tail that velcos off (is velcos as word?!).  My helper makes the puppet
crawl up my body during the scary parts when the Tailypo is at the foot
of the bed, etc.

I have never had any complaints about the story being too violent.
Violence is in many children's stories--look at Grimm's Fairy tales.
Everyone has always seemed to like the story, especially at Halloween.
I hope this helps out.  I hate hearing that one of my all time fave
stories is being objected to!

Merry Beth Oliveto
Farmington Branch Library
Farmington, MI

Opps--Appalacian--wrong--Appalachian! Would help if I could spell my
birth area right!

LM_NET Archive Home