I am teaching Latin at 2 schools, one of which is on a "traditional
schedule" and the other is on a "block schedule."  Teaching on both every
day is frightening difficult!  Our "block schedule" has students take a
total of 8 classes, but they meet each class every other day for 90 minutes,
hence having only 4 classes a day.  On our "traditional schedule" students
take 7 classes each day, all classes being 50 minutes.
     Any minor mathematical calculations will show that total class time is
reduced on the "block schedule," which of course would hinder the amount of
material a class can cover.  More important than that, a subject like Latin
seems to be more difficult on the "every-other-day-schedule," simply because
students do not seem to study on days when the class doesn't meet!  More
simply put, if Sally practices the piano every day and Johnny practices only
every other day, who will be the better player (rather quickly, I might
add). This is my first year on both schedules at once, so I've not
had real time to adjust (myself or my materials or my methods).
   Contact for more details, if desired.

LM_NET Archive Home